2015 Trauma Friendly Schools
Trust in Schools
In 2015 we have been lucky enough to be part of the Trust in Schools project in the ACT. Staff has accessed significant targeted professional learning and mentoring in respect to children with a background of trauma.
The trust in Schools Project is a school based project that is being coordinated by the Australian Child and Adolescent Trauma, Loss and Grief Network. The Network is supported by the Australian Government and the Australian National University.
The trust in Schools Project is working in four Primary Schools across Canberra to implement a whole school approach to create trauma informed and sensitive schools that provide safe, secure environments for all children.
The main areas of focus for trust in Schools are:
- A whole of school environment where the impact of experiences of adversity and trauma on all children is recognised.
- A school executive that promotes trauma sensitive practices through policies, procedures and whole of school support.
- All school staff is supported in implementing trauma sensitive practices.
- Families, carers and school communities that are engaged and understand the need for a whole of school trauma sensitive approach.
At Cranleigh, all school staff will endeavour to:
- Share an understanding of how trauma impacts learning and why a school wide approach is needed for creating a trauma sensitive school.
- Support all students to feel safe - physically, socially, emotionally and academically.
- Address student needs in a holistic way, taking into account their relationships, self-regulation, academic competence and physical and emotional wellbeing.
- Explicitly connect students to the school community by providing them with multiple opportunities to practice newly developed skills.
- Embrace teamwork with a sense of shared responsibility for every student.
- Anticipate and adapt to the ever changing needs of students and the surrounding community.
For more information: Australian Child & Adolescent Trauma, Loss & Grief Network